Taking professional looking real estate photography is important when creating a visually stunning 360 virtual tour. If you are a beginner with photography and camera equipment, then you may not be familiar with lighting and how to capture it the right way. Lighting plays a major role to capture colors as well as to reveal form and texture within an image. Following the correct guidelines and remembering these tips will help you learn more about lighting and how to create beautiful photos.
– Examine different source of light (such as natural). Understand the characteristics of light and notice the hardness, softness, direction, and visible colors. Hard light (direct light) produces vivid colors that stand out and creates stronger shadows. Soft light (diffused) will produce more pastel tones and softens details within a photo.
– Pay attention to the colors shown in your photos. Colors tend to set a certain mood for the person who is viewing them. Shooting photos at different times throughout the day will allow you to capture different tones, colors, and light effects. (Taking photographs during the early morning hours can capture great tones). The sun brings out blue hues in the morning hours and creates a crisp effect. Closer to noon or later, you will find softer colors and diffused light which will create a natural effect.
– Do not over use your flash because the photos will become too bright and shadows will be extremely harsh.
– Test out different angles to play with the lighting that is being captured so that you reduce heavy shadows.
– When shooting interior photos, make sure that you have enough lighting from lamps, overhead lights, windows, etc. Do not allow too much light in your interior shots because the details can easily be lost. (Shooting in the dark with heavy flash is usually NOT the best idea).
– Photography is an art and lighting makes up a huge part of it. Practice and try different environments until you are familiar with the types of light sources and the effects they produce.
Follow these tips and you should be able to produce great stills and panoramic photography for your virtual tour!
Virtual Tour Software & Professional Real Estate Photography
Order a virtual tour: 866-947-8687